Nothing is as important as choosing the right roof for your house, whether you are building a new house or putting a new roof on your existing house. Improper roofing can cause you great inconvenience and the cost of maintenance of may go through the roof. Of course there is no point in hitting the roof once the job is done. So it makes sense to research and explore all options carefully before making the choice.
What you choose depends mostly on the style of your house, climate and the cost of the roofing. In the present day market, there are many options like asphalt, wood and composite shingles, slate, concrete and clay tiles. Whatever you choose, ensure that the roofing system will result in an energy efficient home. Here are some things to consider while choosing the right roof.
Material: The material you choose will depend on the climate and the style of your home and will in turn; determine the cost of your roofing.
- Asphalt Shingles are the most popular and widely used roofing material. It is made of woven fiber glass and covered with asphalt coating which is waterproof. This is further coated with ceramic sand-like granules to protect the roofing from the harmful ultra violet rays. They are of two types-standard type and the laminated ones with a textured appearance, and match with most of the architectural styles. Available in variety of colors and styles, these can have a guarantee of up to 30 yrs. They can be installed with minimum skill and are the least expensive of all materials.
- Wood has been used since olden days and is still is a good option, especially for traditional style homes. There are two types available in this – machine cut shingles or hand-split shakes. Lasting for about 25 yrs, these are quite expensive.
- Slate is one of the toughest and most durable roofing materials requiring almost no maintenance. It is waterproof, noncombustible and lasts a very long time. It is also available in a wide range of colors but expensive.
- Composite Shingles roofing is one of the modern methods which can give you the look of tile, slate or wood without spending much on the maintenance and installation. They are polybased, and are light weight and can last even up to 50 yrs.
- Clay and Concrete tiles are also very durable and add beauty to the roofing.
- Metal roofs are made of steel, aluminium or copper. They are light weight, durable, energy efficient and capable of protecting your home from wind, rain, hail etc. They also help prevent fire from spreading during forest fires. Unlike the old day corrugated panels, they are now available in a wide range of styles to suit any architectural style.
Roofing system: While the material and the style you choose will add beauty to your home, you need to consider the roofing system as a whole. A good roofing system will have proper leak barriers to prevent any leakages that can be caused by extreme weather. It should incorporate proper attic ventilation to remove excess heat and moisture from the attic to ensure energy efficiency. Improper ventilation can damage the shingles, the siding and even the interiors of the home. Mildew growth on the walls can be pose a health risk to the residents. It should have roof deck protection, so that the roofing is able to withstand extreme weather conditions. Champion provides roofing systems including all these features to ensure safety, durability, protection and beauty. This also makes your home energy efficient, saving a lot on the energy bills.
Finally be sure to buy the whole roofing system from one manufacturer and get it installed from them. And then, let the roof you choose be the last roof. At least you don’t have to worry about the roof over your head.